By B I Medovar, V Ya Saenko, G M Grigorenko, Yu M Pomarin, V I Kumysh
The e-book describes the tactic of remelting consumable electrodes with an electrical are burning among the outside of a liquid slag bathtub and a consumable electrode in a water-cooled copper mold. the tactic combines the probabilities of remedy of liquid steel with the electrical arc within the gasoline surroundings and the liquid slag and the benefits of plasma-arc and electro slag remelting. The technological chances, layout positive aspects of melting structures and result of experimental and business melting trials of steels and alloys are defined. as well as remelting structural steels, unique realization is given to the potential of alloying the steel with nitrogen from the gasoline part, with no utilizing dear nitrogen-bearing nonmetallic compounds, e.g. silicon nitride. it's proven that arc slag remelting is additionally used successfully in generating ingots of titanium and its alloys. the consequences received during this strategy are in comparison with electro slag remelting and plasma arc remelting. info on power intake and steel caliber also are provided.
Read or Download ARC-Slag Remelting of Steel and Alloys PDF
Best metallurgy books
The ebook is predicated at the editors' symposium on the 2005 ACS assembly in Washington, DC. The contents contain an emphasis on main-group polymers, together with boron. The chapters will not be easily magazine articles, fairly the editors have reviewed the final sector via putting the paintings right into a greater point of view.
This layout instruction manual, with a loose windows-based laptop programme on CD-ROM, permits the person to simply assessment the power of a cross-section and the buckling resistance of metal and aluminium individuals. Highlighting the theoretical foundation of difficulties and the layout technique essential to triumph over them, it comprehansively covers layout to Eurocode nine, and AISI standards.
Laptop know-how some time past fifteen years has basically rev olutionized engineering schooling. advanced platforms related to coupled mass delivery and movement have yielded to numerical research even for particularly advanced geometries. the applying of such know-how including advances in utilized actual chemistry have justified a normal updating of the sector of heterogeneous kinetics in extractive metallurgy.
This e-book experiences the behaviour of metals and alloys in the course of welding. within the first half the warmth circulation in arc welding methods is mentioned. The weld thermal cycle is defined when it comes to warmth enter, and the geometry of weld and thicknesses to be welded. the genuine welding cycle is defined when it comes to thermal and pressure cycles.
- Ferrous Powder Metallurgy
- Welding Metallurgy and Weldability
- Competitiveness of the U.S. Minerals and Metals Industry
- Handbook of Plasma Immersion Ion Implantation and Deposition
- Handbook of Workability and Process Design
Additional resources for ARC-Slag Remelting of Steel and Alloys
The slag bath is a melt of an electrolyte with a large number of complicated and simple ions. Its temperature may reach 2500°C. Certain slag components can evaporate at these temperatures, whereas others dissociate into ions and, in this form, may take part in the current transfer process. However, since the temperature of arc discharge is considerably higher than that of the slag pool, the intensity of the processes of evaporation, dissociation and ionization here is considerably higher. For example, in the zone in the immediate vicinity of the arc column temperature may reach 3000-6000°C or higher; at these temperatures boiling of the slag (metal) and its intensive evaporation are unavoidable.
10) several droplets form simultaneously, whereas tens of droplets may appear at a large electrode section. One of the main technological characteristics determining the productivity of any electric remelting process is the melting rate of the billet or electrode. Figure 15 shows the statistical data obtained in processing ASR melts of steel electrodes with a diameter from 48 to 600 mm. They indicate that in ASR the relationship between the melting rate and melting current is linear. A certain scatter in the values of the melting rate can be explained by the variation of voltage and a difference in the electrode diameters.
1) electrode feed mechanism; 2) electrode; 3) water-cooled crystallizer; 4) liquid slag; 5) ingot; 6) water-cooled stool. In ESR, the refining medium is a synthetic slag, superheated to relatively high temperatures (if required, to 2500°C). The slag efficiently desulphurises the metal and adsorbs nonmetallic inclusions. In ESR, hydrogen is practically not removed from the metal. Oxygen is removed quite efficiently, as a result of dissociation of oxide nonmetallic inclusions. In ESR, carbon deoxidation of the metal of the consumable electrode may also take place.